Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Goals and progress check-in, October 15


Sorry for the slightly late posting. Midterm grading always creates a bit of a rush. Below are last week's goals for each of you. Please leave a comment that says which you accomplished, any thoughts you have about the goals you set up and why you were able to meet them or not, and what your specific goals are for next week. Please keep in mind the deadlines for various steps of the draft!

Last week's goals:


Al --


  •  Find Primary sources 
  •  Find People involved in The Riot
  •  Look at the trial and evidence [isn't this related to finding primary sources? - JAH]
  •  Labor Unions in 1886

Tyler --
  • define more primary sources
  • find more reputable secondary sources
  • develop working thesis for the rough draft. 

Jennifer --
  • have a clear idea of any patterns there may be in the cases of infanticide 
  • look to see if there are any cases of men committing infanticide. 

Allison --
  • Read at least 24 letters and enter summaries of them into  database
  • begin rough draft - 500 words.


Colin' --

  • finish reading the debate focusing on the situations after rise of power of the Oranges.  Specifically on the possible secession activates in Ireland and the Threat of France.
  • make a list of the other sucession crises 

Matthew -- 


  • Come up with and start implementing the Excel sheet and see if it needs to be tweaked. 
  • Get at least up to 45 cases.
  • Start thinking about what secondary sources to use.

Taylor -- 

  • Need to come up with a solid question to ask myself for the paper and work on a thesis statement off the question
  • Find at least 2 secondary sources after listening to the rest of the recordings
  • ORGANIZE info into categories
  • Write 500-700 words a week in notes

Liz -- 

1. Find secondary sources
2. Narrow down a thesis for the paper
3. Create an outline to organize my thoughts
4. Narrow down the primary sources I intend to use.


Emmy Jo -- 

  • Have more journals read. 
  • Be more specific on what I'm looking for. 
  • Start to sift through and pick which articles I want for my paper.

Madison -- 

  • Consider how to combine the two approaches under consideration

Alex -- 

  • get through the first 2 reigns of statutes (organized by monarch)
  • organize primary evidence into pro-, neutral-, and anti-monarchial attitudes
  • settle on a time period

Brennan -- 

  • Find better primary and secondary sources  

TJ -- 

  • start putting all my ideas together and start writing.



Shaun -- 



Mikey --


Andrew -- 


Rich --

7 comments:

  1. I have started a spread sheet type thing that is helping me track the different types of cases. I think instead of doing a specific time period I am going to do how it changed over time. In tracking the different cases I have been able to see some differences over the years. I have not looked to hard for cases with men in them, but I do hope to find a few if there are some.
    I think that the goals that I set for myself last time were not quite strict enough, so I am going to try and have more specific goals that aren't too big. If they are too big I will not be able to actually accomplish them. Since the goals were broad it was hard to tell if I met them or not.
    Goals for this week:
    ~Finish the spread sheet
    ~Create an outline to organize thoughts
    ~Start a draft

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did manage to exceed my goal quota of secondary sources, and I began my rough draft, but I didn't make it to 24 letters in the database (I had an allergic reaction over break and spent a whole day recovering that set me back). However, I did discover a few letters that are AWESOME for my topic, including some that describe how women handled their husbands' estates! So, two and a half out of three goals met, which isn't great, but I think I bit off a little more than I could handle, so this week I'm setting more manageable goals, and anything I accomplish over them will be icing on the cake:
    -10 letters entered into database
    -Outline containing 6 secondary sources' arguments and how I will respond to them

    ReplyDelete
  3. One would think that since it being fall break, there would be time to work on the things that needed to be done, and that is partially accurate. I managed to put together a excel sheet, but then ran into some technical difficulties. And since I was working with a slower internet connection, I was only able to reach 40 sources, which was 5 short then my goal. Overall, I still have room to improve, although I believe that I am still getting enough worked on to not fall drastically behind. So for this week I want to finish what I started while making sure I stay up to date and not fall behind:
    - Move excel sheet to other computer and finish putting in all the cases.
    - Reach 50 cases. (Hopefully, I can work my way back up to reading more then 10 cases a week.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welp. Break apparently ended up consisting of a lot more travel and a lot less internet access than I anticipated(Helping the family move and being in between cities--it's all crazy). So not as much done as I anticipated, and, by my own fault, the first two reigns were longer than I originally thought once I actually started getting into them. But here's what I DID get done:

    -settled on time period: 1423-1707. Going to go ahead and use this whole period so I can use any of the statutes at my disposal.
    - Got through the first several years of the first reign (James I) and started a personal database tracking reign, summary, and sentiment towards the monarchy.

    And my next goals:
    - Finish James I by end of week
    - Start working bibliography and expanding secondary sources

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far I've found some websites that discuss the labor issues in Chicago. One of the sites has transcripts of the trial that took places after the riot. Right now, my goal is to find more sources on the labor union in the 1800's and labor issues in Chicago

    Goal:
    Find more sources
    Create Bibliography

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week, I have started to really examine secondary sources. I have combined what I have learned while reading primary and secondary sources to begin to get a good understanding of society's view of mothers with illegitimate children. With this, I have been able to ask where did those mothers fit into society, what were those mothers reactions to where society placed them, and how did the mothers take care (or get rid of) their children? Not only have I done this, but I have comprised and organized a more solid outline.

    Goals for the upcoming week:
    1. Examine more secondary sources
    2. Write an introduction to solidify my thesis
    3. Solidify bibliography and gather even more sources

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week I completed looking over each of the recordings and wrote down each individual occupation for each. Thesis statement is still coming along but I have all my secondary sources for my bibliography. I found some written documents pertaining to the recordings and the reactions. I think I will probably use these to further along my research paper. I also started making the connections I needed to in my "Man on the Street" recordings and I have put them in an excel document.

    Goals:
    1. Start on my rough draft this weekend
    2. Cite all of my primary and secondary sources
    3. Finish the excel document for my Dear. Mr. President recordings
    4. Work on my thesis

    ReplyDelete