Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Emmy's Topic

My topic is a part of the Library of Congress primary source collection. I'm planning to write on the establishment of the United States by looking through the journals of the House of Representative and the Senate from 1789 to sometime in the 1800s. I haven't been that far yet. The journals that I've been through are quite interesting. I've only been through around 40 journal entries of the House. 10-20 of them in the beginning were of the representatives being lazy and not coming to meetings, so they would adjourn to the next day at 11am, multiple days in a row. After that, I found the journal of the representatives voting for the first president of the United States, and it turns out there were more people than just George Washington and John Adams. Then I found the journal where they put taxes on things, and they listed all the different types of products that were being taxed. I'm looking forward to reading more journals and finding out how the structure of the government and other parts of the country were established.

8 comments:

  1. I am also using the Library of Congress as my collection, and the bulk of the information I look up does not seem relevant to my search terms, so I understand your struggle. It is like digging for treasure, you just have to be patient and keep digging. The information is definitely there to find. Looking forward to the progress report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely having fun finding the new journal posts and seeing how things were written and taken into effect. Good luck on your endeavors on the Library of Congress!

      Delete
  2. I'm using Library of Congress for a lot of my research also. This is a good all around topic because it's something that is interesting to just about everyone. It's important to know the major accomplishments of our country and by providing good primary sources we will all can get a better understanding of these accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, these accomplishments are overlooked so much these days, and I'm sure our founding fathers are rolling in their graves.

      Delete
  3. The collection that you have chosen looks as if it will be interesting. You seem to have got a general idea of what you want to do with the collection, but what questions are you trying to answer with the collection? Maybe you can try and see if there was a particular person that has a large influence on the establishment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to answers questions like what influenced taxes on the United States and how did our huge government system become established in such a short/medium amount of time? I'm very excited for this topic.

      Delete
  4. This very interesting and well placed on the house of representative and the senates in the 1789

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very interested in this topic.

      Delete